It was decided to open the regional secretariat of the Central Asia Desert Initiative (CADI) in Tashkent.

The regional secretariat of the Central Asian Desert Initiative (CADI) will be opened in Tashkent. This agreement was reached at the regional CADI seminar held in the capital of Uzbekistan on October 22-23.

The CADI project, funded by the German government, has been implemented since 2016 by the University of Greifswald, the Michael Zukkov Foundation (Greifswald, Germany) and the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO).

The initiative is aimed at the conservation and sustainable use of temperate deserts, which are unique ecosystems of global importance. They are important migration areas for birds, as well as for wild species of ungulates, which include saigas.

The territory of Central Asia accounts for 95% of all the temperate desert of the planet. The remaining 5% are in the Americas. Despite their environmental significance, temperate deserts remain the only biome (a set of ecosystems of one natural-climatic zone) that did not go on the list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites. CADI intends to prepare a temperate desert nomination for inclusion on this list.

CADI's target countries are Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, and Turkmenistan. They have a special responsibility to preserve the temperate deserts that are threatened by human activities and the effects of climate change.

Establishment of a CADI regional secretariat will continue to work on the conservation of desert biodiversity and the fight against desertification, not only within the project, but also outside it, said project manager Christian Welscher.

It is expected that representatives of Central Asian countries will lead the secretariat in turn. In addition, national secretariats will be opened in each country. After the completion of the CADI initiative, the secretariat can be transformed into an independent organization.

Among the issues that will be addressed by the new structure are the development of coordinated measures for the conservation of deserts, the expansion of saxaul forests and the creation of transboundary protected areas, the establishment of dialogue in this field between scientific institutions, official bodies and international organizations, support for national initiatives and advice on the development of strategies , including improving employment and living conditions of people in settlements in deserts.

Source: gazeta.uz